Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I DO knit, I swear!


Ha.  I realize the last several posts have been solely about my adventures as a beginner seamstress.  Looking back, in fact, my very first craft involved sewing when I decided I wanted to learn how to quilt many years ago.

But as my blog title states, this Boston mama knits more than anything.  You can tell how I feel about yarn too based on my photos ~ the fiber is always in dreamy, ethereal light.  The yarn in the above photo in particular has been my absolute favorite for a few years now ~ Capra DK from Knit Picks.  It's a wool/cashmere blend that is incredibly soft and yields a very comfortable fabric when worked up.

The photo is also featuring the same pattern in 3 different colors.  I first knit up the French Cancan shawl by Mademoiselle C a few years ago in the Cream colorway.  I wanted a cuddly winter white shawl to wrap around my neck and shoulders during the cold months.

I loved that shawl so much, I knit up one in pink and made matching mittens.

Why do I need a third one?  For two reasons:

1) I wear these shawls ALL the time.  Love them.  Will usually reach for them over all of my other knits.  That's a good sign that the project was an all around success!

2)  This yarn was the last yarn Snoopy sat on and wrapped himself up in before he passed away.  I always loved that he thought my yarn was his yarn.  It was.    And I never minded finding dog hair in my knits.  In fact I encouraged it, and seeing little random bits of fur from him in this project makes me so happy.

The pattern calls for the body to be knit in squishy garter stitch.  I did stockinette for the first two, but for this one I am following the pattern as is.  Working on the body is repetitive, meditative, and therapeutic.

The applied border is always engaging, and I swear this is where I will slow down...not because lace and cables are more complex...but because I often stop, pull back, and admire my work.  :o)  If I cut that out, I'd be done in half the time!

I highly recommend this pattern if you're interested in trying lace and cables.  Working an applied border is not hard, and because it's a much smaller amount of stitches, it makes working this short lace and cable pattern very manageable (as opposed to lace and cables across hundreds of stitches).

Oh, and if you haven't tried Capra DK yet, this might be a good time.  Seriously.  You'll thank me.



No comments:

Post a Comment