Thursday, December 8, 2016

Dress #4, Polka Party!




The fabric is Riley Blake, a joyful all over white polka dot on a red background.  My younger daughter picked this out for herself, and once again, I made Simplicity 1537.

I continue to work with this pattern because I know it well enough that I don't have to worry about the basic construction at this point, and I can fine tune details.  Plus it's just darn cute.

She is a size 10, so I had to trace out new pattern pieces.  Thankfully, I remembered that I have size 14 traced out for me and needed to correctly label the pieces to avoid mixing them up!  I would NOT have been happy if, while making my next dress, I unknowingly had pieces of two different sizes.

She is thrilled with her new dress.  She wore it the day I finished it, which was adorable because it was about 30 degrees outside.  She froze in the car and on the short walk to the library, but she stuck it out because darnit...polka dots!

Clover water soluble pencils

I am happy to report that these are fabulous.  Chances are experienced seamstresses could chime here with even better options, but so far, I'm having very good luck marking up my fabric with these pencils.

New fabric 

Did you spy the new fabric?  I have 3 more dresses waiting in the wings.  :o)

Voile underlining

The gray X on the black background is currently in production.  All 3 of these fabrics are quilting cotton, and each one will be an experiment.  Dot & Dash X is yet another Riley Blake fabric.  I will be underlining it with cotton voile to see if that helps reduce that dress-made-of-quilting-cotton look and feel.  I think the idea is to give the fabric a little more weight, encouraging it to drape a little nicer.  Maybe it'll reduce the wrinkling too?  We'll see.

Didn't need to pre-wash my muslin - yikes.

A quick note.  I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to prewash my muslin fabric.  I don't know why because it becomes a dress one only practices with and doesn't wash/wear.  I think I was trying to soften it up a bit.  Anyway, muslin really wrinkles.  Like...off the chart wrinkles!  In order to use it for practice pieces, I now had to iron it out to save it.  And frankly, it went from really wrinkled to only sorta wrinkled with ironing.  Basically, it was time wasted.  I had washed and ironed a fabric that needed neither.

Next...the Voile Underlining Experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment